Sunday, April 15, 2018

Our First Review!

Another surprise!  I guess it's beginning to show that I am a new author, because everything is new and exciting for me... then again, I don't think I would want this any other way!  My publisher, Ted Savas, his team, and Dr. Dennis Rosbach, who did the formal medical diagnosis on LeRoy have put so much hard work into this unique volume.... and that work seems to be appreciated.

From Emerging Civil War:  http://emergingcivilwar.com/2018/04/13/book-review-the-war-outside-my-window-the-civil-war-diary-of-leroy-wiley-gresham-1860-1865/



One thing that Meg Groeling mentioned in one of her replies is that she hopes Savas Beatie will be making the book available for the "classroom reading market." I got (again) so excited about that, as I have been putting together a rough list of the kinds of multidisciplinary activities that I would have (and have used in other contexts) with my own students.  I plan a set of guiding questions to help the students get the most from LeRoy's writing.  That will be my next step in the process of preparing this book for all kinds of  audiences, just like Dr. Rosbach, who has prepared a more detailed medically oriented version for readers who are interested in the practice of medicine at that time.


I think one of the big appeals of this work to teenagers is that LeRoy is one of them.  Of course, there are distinct differences between the kids of today and those of 150 years ago.  However, there are distinct similarities, like writing notes in the margins, drawing little pictures on spare pages, practicing writing his name in different ways, etc.  The best of that was left intact... and I won't provide any spoilers for you, either!  It breaks your heart to realize who his 13-year old crush is...

No comments: